Battle Buddies….those words conjure up different thoughts for different segments of the population. For military spouses it means the friend who held your hand through a deployment. I don’t mean literal hand-holding. I am referring to the chick who answers the phone and just listens as you rant and rave about the latest drama in your life.
I don’t think a military spouse could survive a deployment without one, I know I couldn’t.
I use to think a battle buddy was someone that was living through the same experience with you and near you. Not any longer.
The miles were irrelevant because we saw each other 3 times in 7 months. Before this month is up we will have visited 4 times in 12 months.
I know I would never have survived without her support.
- My battle buddy traversed part of the country with us when we took our summer trek last year.
- She packed up her kids and their schoolwork to visit after the Kickboxer broke her leg.
- She took my littles shopping for my upcoming birthday while she was here.
- We trick-or-treated with her and her kids.
- We panicked together when we found the bag of chocolates from Halloween devoured by the newest dog in our family.
- I dropped my littles off to her in January so I could fly to the Netherlands to spend time with The Man.
- She has listened to me sob when I said good-bye to my dog.
- Most of all she was “there” and just listened.
The other battle buddies I had were online. I really connected with some “friends” on Facebook who were only acquaintances before.
I am so appreciative of the amazing women who are in my crazy life.
Tell me about your battle buddy experience. Why was she so special?